Houghton County Portage Bridge collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of photographs and documents related to the Portage Lake Bridge (and previous versions of the bridge at the same location) between Houghton and Hancock. The photos range from approximately 1875 to 1959.
- 1875 - 1959
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
No copyright (http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/)
Biographical / Historical
The Portage Lake Lift Bridge is a bridge that connects the cities of Hancock and Houghton. The first bridge over Portage Lake was a wooden swing bridge built in 1875. A railroad level was added to the bridge in 1891. In 1897, the wooden swing bridge was replaced with an iron swing bridge. This bridge was destroyed in 1905 when a steamer collided with it, and a new iron swing bridge was built. It remained in use until 1959, when the current lift bridge went into operation.
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
The original records are held by the Houghton County Historical Society. They can be contacted at (906) 296-4121 or email@example.com.
View This Collection Online
This collection is part of UPLINK, the Upper Peninsula Digital Network. You can see it on the UPLINK website here.
- Bridges Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hancock (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Houghton (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Portage Lake (Houghton County, Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Houghton County Portage Bridge collection
- Annika Peterson
- 4 May 2022
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description