Mary Soper Interview (Part of the Women's Center Oral History Collection)
Identifier: MSS-302_13_Mary Soper
- Digitized: 2015-06
- Soper, Mary (Interviewee, Person)
Mary Soper discusses her involvement with the Women's Center from its foundation in the nineteen-seventies at Northern Michigan University until its move to its new quarters. Soper arrived at NMU to complete her social work degree and soon joined the nascent women's movement in the Upper Peninsula, a movement which led to the creation of the Women's Center. Soper was instrumental in the creation of the counselor-training program at the Center; she led consciousness-raising groups as a volunteer and later as a paid staffer designed vocational training and other curricula on career preparation and labor awareness for high schools in the area. She later joined the Board of Trustees of the Center and helped guide the Center towards its establishment as an independent entity. Soper and her interviewer, Jane Ryan, end the interview by discussing the future of feminist activism and the Women's Center.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish MSS-302_13, Mary Soper Interview (Part of the Women's Center Oral History Collection) must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
1 file (1 video file (54 minutes, 56 seconds))
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
MSS-302, Women's Center Oral History Collection
Accessed via YouTube.
- Counseling. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Feminism. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Michigan alumni/alumnae. Subject Source: Local sources
- Oral histories (document genres). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Streaming video. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Upper Peninsula (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Vocational education. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women's Center (Marquette, Mich.)