David Spelgatti Interview (August 8, 1993) (Part of the Italian American Oral History Project)
- Spelgatti, David (Interviewee, Person)
During this interview, Msgr. Spelgatti talks a great deal about different boarding houses in the area. He talks about how one resident made moonshine and the responsibilities of the boarders, such as helping the landlady. His father stayed at a boarding house run by "Nona," who was something of a matchmaker. He tells how his mother arrived and some of her responsibilities. As many of the men could not write, she would compose letters to their prospective brides back in Italy. He also gives more family history, talks about bootlegging and a little more about his father, a miner. The second tape is fairly short, only talking about other Italians in the area and other immigration anecdotes. Recorded at Ishpeming, Michigan.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish David Spelgatti Interview (August 8, 1993) (Part of the Italian American Oral History Project), must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
1 item (2 sound files (85 min.))
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
MSS-202, Italian American Oral History Project
- Ishpeming (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Italian Americans. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Streaming audio. Subject Source: Local sources
- Upper Peninsula (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings