Karlyn Rapport Interview Transcript (Part of the Women's Center Oral History Collection)
- Rapport, Karlyn (Interviewee, Person)
Karlyn Rapport moved to Marquette, Michigan in 1958 and worked with The Women's Center as a language pathologist. She focused her efforts on raising public awareness and community response regarding domestic violence and sexual assault, and eventually became one of the lead instigators for the Harbor House. Karlyn describes the Harbor House in more detail and how this shelter helps abused women and men. She discusses her background as a speech language pathologist, job shadowing and developing the rehabilitation program, consciousness-raising groups, holding a conference on women’s issues, her effort to help survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault, support from the American Association of University Women, her connection with the Women's Center, using bingo games as a revenue source, a march for women's rights, her views about the vision and mission of the Women’s Center, advocating legislation to protect vulnerable minorities, the Center's constant connection with Northern Michigan University, broad community support, law enforcement training, and the Women’s Center’s new building.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish the Karlyn Rapport Transcript (Part of the Women's Center Oral History Collection), must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
1 item (1 text file (11 pages))
Existence and Location of Originals
MSS-302, Women's Center Oral History Collection
- Family violence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Feminism. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Transcripts. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Upper Peninsula (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women's Center (Marquette, Mich.)
- Women's shelters. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings