Diane Betts Transcript (Part of the Women's Center Oral History Collection)
- Betts, Diane (Interviewee, Person)
In this 2014 interview, Diane Betts tells the story of her journey from sufferer of intimate partner violence to becoming the Associate Director of the Women's Center Harbor House, a shelter for IPV victims in Marquette, Michigan. Diane first came to Harbor House as a client; her experiences with the staff and volunteers at the Women's Center gave her the support she needed to end her marriage, pursue her education at Northern Michigan University and at Ohio University, where she received her MSW degree. Diane came back to Harbor House as a volunteer, got a job on staff as an advocate for IPV victims, and recently took on her new role as Associate Director. She discusses how her own story and her education have allowed her to help the clients and show that empowerment and freedom are possible.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish the Diane Betts Transcript (Part of the Women's Center Oral History Collection), must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
1 item (1 text file (18 pages))
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
MSS-302, Women's Center Oral History Collection
- Family violence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Feminism. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral histories (document genres). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Transcripts. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women's Center (Marquette, Mich.)
- Women's shelters. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings