Jerome Roth Interview Transcript
Jerome Roth, a Northern Michigan University Chemistry professor discribes the creation of the American Association of University Professors chapter at NMU. Roth played an active role in the creation of the chapter, which was no easy task. He and others had to fight to bring the faculty together and get enough votes to unionize. Prior to the vote, according to Roth, there were a number of questionable events that helped fuel the fire to unionize. Roth describes these events in detail, including a number of legal battles with the university, then continues to explain the need for AAUP on campus, the values the union holds, and how it changed the way the university is run today.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish the Jerome Roth Interview Transcript must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
1 item (1 text file (19 pages))
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Originals
3302-01, Northern Michigan University and Area Audio Collection
- American Association of University Professors. Northern Michigan University Chapter
- Chemistry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Michigan faculty and staff. Subject Source: Local sources
- Oral histories (document genres). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Transcripts. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Upper Peninsula (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings