William Bonifas Lumber Company records
Scope and Contents note
This collection features four ledgers from the William Bonifas Lumber Company. Each ledger contains information about lumber lands with land descriptions, jobbers, and various accounts. Although the writing is at times difficult to read, this collection can be useful to someone researching local and/or Upper Peninsula lumbering. The ledgers date from 1910 to 1936.
- William Bonifas Lumber Co. (Garden, Mich.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the William Bonifas Lumber Company records, MSS-136, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
William Bonifas immigrated to the United States from Luxembourg. In 1910, he purchased several thousand acres of timberland north of Watersmeet, Michigan, and founded the company town of Bonifas. The town housed 200 people in twenty-five buildings, and the William Bonifas Lumber Company employed 350 people in several logging camps from approximately 1916 to 1932.
2 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- Karamanski, Theodore J., Deep woods frontier: a history of logging in northern Michigan, Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1989.
- Ledgers (account books). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lumber camps. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumber trade. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumbering. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- William Bonifas Lumber Company records
- Robin Kennedy and Marcus C. Robyns
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives Repository
Harden Learning Resources Center 126
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette 49855 United States