Clara Laidlaw papers
Scope and Contents Note
The collection consists mainly of correspondence between Laidlaw and Tina A. Maki Eiker. Both were alumni of Northern State Teachers College. The correspondence begins in 1939 and continues until Laidlaw's death in 1989. They discussed daily activities and Clara's literary achievements. The collection also contains Clara's diploma from Newberry High School (dated 1926) and two copies of the high school yearbook, entitled "Tahquamenon" (1924, 1926). Finally, the papers contain a small collection of Laidlaw's short stories. The collection's materials date from 1924 to 1989.
- Laidlaw, Clara (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Clara Laidlaw papers, MSS-110, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Clara Laidlaw (1905-1989) was a native of Newberry, Michigan, and graduated from Northern State Normal School (now Northern Michigan University) in 1935. She completed a master's degree in English from the University of Michigan and taught English at Michigan State University. In 1942, Laidlaw won a Hopwood award for her short stories, including "The Little Black Boys." She died in East Lansing, Michigan in 1989.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift from Tina A. Maki Eiker in 2002.
- Authors, American. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College teachers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College teaching. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- English literature. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Laidlaw, Clara
- Northern Michigan alumni/alumnae. Subject Source: Local sources
- School yearbooks. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Short stories. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clara Laidlaw papers
- Marcus C. Robyns
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description