ALLIES / OUTlook records
Scope and Contents note
This collection documents the activities of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender students and faculty at Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan as a part of two campus organizations: OUTlook and ALLIES. OUTLook was a student group with faculty advisors, while ALLIES is primarily a faculty and staff organization that is open to students.
The OUTlook materials include agendas, minutes, brochures, mailing and membership lists, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and events files. This portion of the collection is strong in documentation of the drag show, blue jeans day, and speaker programs. Also included are records of the Gay, Bisexual, Lesbian Student Union, the predecessor of OUTlook.
The ALLIES materials include meeting minutes, correspondence, membership lists, constitution, conference material, and scholarship information. It also contains much material on the fight for domestic partner benefits at Northern Michigan University and in Michigan more broadly.
Except for an oral history interview conducted in 2016, the collection's materials date from 1993 to 2005.
- Majority of material found within 1993 - 2003
- Outlook (Organization: Marquette, Mich.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the ALLIES/OUTLook records, MSS-112, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
OUTlook is an organization that aims to help gay, lesbian, bisexual, straight, and transgender students at Northern Michigan University reach their fullest potential. The organization is founded on four basic tenets: self-pride, self-determination, support, and community service. OUTlook received the 2003-2004 Diversity Program/Project of the Year for sponsoring a visit by Debra Davis, and the 1998-1999 Program/Project of the Year for sponsoring Gloria Steinem’s visit. OUTLook had several previous names, including the One in Ten Society, the Ten Percent Club, and the Gay-Lesbian-Bisexual Student Union (GLBSU). In the early 2010s, another LGBT student group formed on campus called Queers and Allies. In 2016, OUTLook ceased to exist as it combined with Queers and Allies.
NMU ALLIES is an organization at Northern Michigan University for people of all sexual orientations. Its purpose is to provide an avenue for faculty, staff, and students who wish to offer visible support for a safe university environment for faculty, staff, and students who are gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender (GLBT). The organization seeks to inform others about sexual diversity issues, and to encourage people to join others on the campus and on a national level working to support the GLBT community nationwide.
1 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
- Agendas. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Allies (Organization: Marquette, Mich.)
- Bisexual college students. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Brochures. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gay college students. Subject Source: Fast
- Gay, Bisexual, Lesbian Student Union (Organization: Marquette, Mich.)
- Lesbian college students. Subject Source: Fast
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Membership lists. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Michigan. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes (administrative records). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newspapers. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northern Michigan University period (1963-) Subject Source: Local sources
- Outlook (Organization: Marquette, Mich.)
- Sexual minorities. Subject Source: Fast
- Surveys (documents). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- ALLIES / OUTlook records
- Marcus C. Robyns
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 4/28/2017: Collection processed and resource record updated by Annika Peterson.