Clifford F. Maier papers
Collection — Box: 25-03-05
Scope and Contents note
This collection is composed of handwritten research notes compiled by and personal papers collected by Dr. Clifford "Cliff" F. Maier between 1960 and 1992. Dr. Maier's research involved the immigration history of French-Canadians to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The collection also includes a paper titled "The Canadian Immigrants of Michigan's Marquette County in the Nineteenth Century," delivered at the 1980 Great Lakes History Conference. Dr. Maier's personal papers document his involvement with various committees and issues at Northern Michigan University such as strategic planning, unionization, the American Association for University Professors, Longyear and Pierce Hall preservation, the building of the Superior Dome, and the Department of History.
- 1960 - 1992
- Maier, Clifford F. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Clifford F Maier papers, MSS-175, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Clifford "Cliff" F. Maier was born in Edam, Saskatchewan, Canada, in 1932. In 1968, he joined the Department of History at Northern Michigan University and completed his PhD in history at the University of Washington in 1971. From 1983 to 1992, Maier worked as the University Archivist and is credited with the establishment of the archival program at Northern Michigan University. Dr. Maier retired from NMU in 1993.
Series: I. Personal papers II. Research records. Folders arranged alphabetically by subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift received from Dr. Clifford F. Maier in three accessions: 1989, 1992, and 1993.
- College teachers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College teaching. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Emigration and immigration. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Franco-Americans. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- French-Canadians. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan University period (1963-) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan University. Department of History
- Northern Michigan faculty and staff. Subject Source: Local sources
- Publications (document genre). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Research notes. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Upper Peninsula (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clifford F. Maier papers
- Marcus C. Robyns Processed 7/1994 by G. Martinson.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description