Northern Michigan College of Education Alumni World War II correspondence
Collection — Box: 09-05-03
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains letters, postcards, v-mails, and press releases about various alumni promotions and service history sent between 1942 and 1948.
- 1942 - 1948
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from MSS-313, Northern Michigan College of Education Alumni World War II correspondence, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Biographical / Historical
During World War II, the Northern Michigan University student newspaper "Northern News" was distributed free of charge to alumni who were serving in the military forces. The correspondence contained within this collection was written to the "Northern News" editors, circulation office, and to select faculty members by these alumni. The majority of these letters are change-of-address notifications, but some also include stories of the students' war experiences. Also included are some press releases regarding former NMCE students sent out by various military public relations units.
Language of Materials
The correspondence in this collection is arranged chronologically. There are some documents that are not dated that have been placed in the second folder behind the letter from 1948.
This collection was previously identified as Univ Series-019. The materials was reassessed and then reaccessioned and processed as a manuscript collection in May 2015.
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northern Michigan College of Education period (1941-1955) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan College of Education.
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan alumni/alumnae. Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan faculty and staff. Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern News. Subject Source: Local sources
- Postcards. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Students as soldiers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- V-mail. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- World War, 1939-1945. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Michigan College of Education Alumni World War II correspondence
- Glenda K. Ward, Arrangement and Description Specialist
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description