Earl Hilton papers
Scope and Contents note
This collection documents the career of Dr. Earl Hilton, formerly a professor of English at Northern Michigan University. It consists of syllabi, lecture notes, and handouts relating to a variety of English courses taught by Hilton while at Northern. The collection also contains Hilton's writings, presentations, and publications, which largely focus on American literature as do his course materials. Also included is a student term paper on music at Northern and correspondence and course descriptions relating to Northern's Elderhostel program.
Processed March 1995
- 1947 - 1990
- Hilton, Earl (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Earl Hilton papers, MSS-320, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Dr. Earl Hilton began his career as a professor of English at Northern Michigan University after he received his Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota in 1950. He retired from Northern's faculty in 1980. Dr. Hilton received his bachelor's from the University of Wyoming in 1938 and his Ph.M. from the University of Wisconsin in 1939. Between the time he received his master's and doctorate's degree, Hilton taught at Iowa State University and at Central Washington College. He served in the armed forces from 1941 to 1946 in such areas as Alaska, the Aleutians, and Germany. In 1967, Hilton co-authored with Darwin Shell a college text entitled Exposition. He also published in journals such as College English, Northwestern Ohio Quarterly, American Literature, PMLA (Publications of the Modern Language Association), and Papers of the Michigan Academy. In 1972, he was cited by the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts and Letters for scholarly achievement. From 1974 to 1975, he was a Fulbright lecturer at Hachettepe University in Ankara, Turkey. Dr. Hilton received one of Northern's first "Distinguished Faculty Awards" in 1979. Hilton was also a member of a number of professional organizations such as the American Association of University Professors and the Modern Language Association. He served in various capacities on the Faculty Senate and on a number of University and English Department Committees and was a member of the American Civil Liberties Union.
1.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
This collection was formerly Univ Series-065. When it became MSS-320, a new finding aid was created.
- College teachers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College teaching. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Elderhostels. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- English literature. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lecture notes. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northern Michigan College of Education period (1941-1955) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan College of Education.
- Northern Michigan College period (1955-1963) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan College.
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan University period (1963-) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan faculty and staff. Subject Source: Local sources
- Presentations (communicative events). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Syllabi. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Earl Hilton papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note