John M. Munson papers
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains John M. Munson's correspondence with colleagues, students, and family.
- 1923 - 1933
- Munson, John M. (John Maurice) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the John M. Munson papers, MSS-326, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
John M. Munson was the son of a Swedish immigrant farmer. He worked as a lumberjack in the Upper Peninsula before enrolling at Ferris Institute, then continuing his studies at Michigan State College and the University of Chicago. Munson served as a school administrator, eventually being appointed Deputy State Superintendent of Public Instruction. After four years as Director of Training and Placement at Central Michigan Normal School, he became the President of Northern State Normal School (now Northern Michigan University) in 1923. During his presidency, Northern State Normal School became Northern State Teachers College. After leaving Northern in 1933, Munson served as President of Michigan Normal College until his retirement in 1948. He died in 1950.
.75 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
This collection was formerly Univ Series-121. When it became MSS-326, a new finding aid was created.
- College presidents. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan administration. Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern State Normal School (Mich.).
- Northern State Normal School period (1899-1927) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern State Teachers College (Mich.).
- Northern State Teachers College period (1927-1941) Subject Source: Local sources
- John M. Munson papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note