Briar Hill Mine Shaft blueprint
Collection — oversize: Map Cabinet 1 Drawer 2
Scope and Contents Note
This collection consists of one blueprint design of a mine shaft for the Briar Hill Mine. The blueprint includes a detailed list of supplies and labor required to sink the shaft. Information includes cost of labor, timber, explosives, cost of fuel, hoistings, blacksmithing and supplies. The shaft was expected to reach a depth of 1,200 feet and take two years for construction. The blueprint is signed by "Captain William Bond" and dated 1911.
- Bond, William (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Briar Hill Mine Shaft blueprint, MSS-122, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
The Briar Hill Mine was located at Norway, Michigan on the Menominee Iron Range. It was orginally opened by the Briar Hill Coal & Iron Co. of Youngstown, Ohio, but sold in the late 1880s to the Penn Iron Mining Co., which was the Cambria Iron Company's ore mining subsidiary.
Language of Materials
Article related to the Briar Hill Mine:
- Bond, William, "Sinking 'C' Shaft at the West Vulcan Mine, Michigan, Menominee Range," Proceedings of the Lake Superior Mining Institute, 2 (1894): 105-110.
- Blueprints (reprographic copies). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Briar Hill Mine (Norway, Mich.)
- Drawings. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Iron mines and mining. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Mine shafts. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Norway (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Briar Hill Mine shaft blueprint
- Marcus C. Robyns
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note