John D. Pierce School memorabilia
- Creation: 1920 - 1971
Conditions Governing Access
Open for research. No restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from MSS-375, John D. Pierce School memorabilia, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Biographical / Historical
Northern operated a teaching laboratory school between 1900 and 1971 and student teachers were assigned to the lab school which opened in September 1900 for their training. Plans for a new laboratory school, which was to be named after the first State Superintendent of Public Instruction, John D. Pierce, were developed in 1922. The John D. Pierce School was first occupied on April 6, 1925 and was dedicated on May 25, 1927. The Pierce School was a laboratory school where Northern students working toward teacher certification were trained. The school included grades K-12 and many of the instructors taught both in the school and at Northern. The state legislature closed the high school in 1961. The elementary grades ended in 1971. For a number of years, the remodeled building was used by the Psychology Department and other offices. Abandoned for several years, it was demolished in 1991-1992. *The information presented in this historical note was obtained from the book “A Sense of Time: The Encyclopedia of Northern Michigan University” compiled by Russell M. Magnaghi. **Additional information regarding John D. Pierce and the John D. Pierce School can be found in “Northern Michigan University: The First 75 Years” by Miriam Hilton.
Language of Materials
The material in this collection, MSS-375, John D. Pierce School memorabilia, is arranged by subject.
- Northern Michigan University. John D. Pierce Training School (Organization)
- Northern Michigan University (Organization)
- Northern State Normal School (Mich.). (Organization)
- Northern State Teachers College (Mich.). (Organization)
- Northern Michigan College of Education. (Organization)
- Northern Michigan College. (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Clippings (information artifacts).
- Oral histories (document genres).
- Programs (documents).
- Report Cards.
- Northern Michigan College of Education period (1941-1955)
- Northern Michigan College period (1955-1963)
- Northern Michigan University period (1963-)
- Northern State Normal School period (1899-1927)
- Northern State Teachers College period (1927-1941)
- John D. Pierce School memorabilia
- Glenda K. Ward, Arrangement and Description Specialist
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note