Harold Wiitala photographs
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains photographs of families in "Vetville," the common name for married student housing at Northern Michigan University, preparing to move or for graduation, including images of the students' children. The collection also contains photographs of a Rod and Gun Club outing and of fans and concession stands at Memorial Field (located where the Berry Events Center now stands) during an NMU football game. The photographs were taken by Harold Wiitala between 1952 and 1955.
- 1952 - 1955
- Wiitala, Harold (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Harold Wiitala photographs, MSS-020, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Harold Wiitala was born in 1927 and graduated from Northern Michigan College of Education in June of 1955. He also attended NFSI in the summer of 1960 at Northern. He had experience in the logging industry as a cook's helper, as well as skidding logs, loading trucks, and railing cars. He worked at a sawmill piling lumber and at a veneer plant, which was located where Northern's Lumber Services building is presently, and he was a janitor's helper at the Cliff Dow office. Mr. Wiitala spent over six years in the military service, mostly in the North Pacific and a few months north of the Canadian mainland. He taught high school math and science for fourteen years. He was self-employed, and his last job was as the area leader for the Green Thumb Program. He retired in 1988.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift of Harold Wiitala in 1990.
- College students. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Football. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Married students. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Michigan College of Education.
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan University. Memorial Field
- Northern Michigan University. Rod and Gun Club
- Northern Michigan University. Vetville
- Northern Michigan alumni/alumnae. Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student activities. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Harold Wiitala photographs
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description