Geraldine DeFant papers
Scope and Contents note
This collection consists of a taped oral interview with Geraldine Defant conducted by Jennifer Grondin on March 26, 1990, and includes an interview transcription. Of particular note is the interview's coverage of the 1949 H.W. Gossard Company Garment Workers Strike in Ishpeming, Michigan. The collection also includes copies of a scrapbook and photographs. The collection's materials cover the range between 1946-1990.
- 1946 - 1990
- DeFant, Geraldine (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Geraldine DeFant papers, MSS-027, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Geraldine DeFant was a longtime Marquette County, Michigan labor leader and politician. In 1948, she came to the Upper Peninsula as an organizer for the International Ladies' Garment Workers union. DeFant organized and led the famous 1949 Gossard Workers strike. She married Marquette attorney Michael DeFant in 1950. DeFant was forced to leave union work once her husband was elected as county probate judge. However, she remained active in the Democratic Party, serving as the Democratic chairwoman of the 11th Congressional District. DeFant also served as an aide to Senators Hart and Riegle. In 1964, DeFant earned a bachelor's degree in political science at Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan.
Through the 1980s, DeFant maintained an active political life. She served on the Marquette County Commission from 1982 to 1991; helped found the Marquette Women's Center and served on its board of directors; and served for six years on the Michigan Women's Commission. DeFant initiated Friend of the Court Legislation that resulted in the garishment of wages for child support. She died on October 25, 1996, at the age of 79.
Language of Materials
- DeFant, Geraldine
- Gossard Company Strike, Ishpeming, Mich., 1949. Subject Source: Local sources
- Labor movement. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette County (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan alumni/alumnae. Subject Source: Local sources
- Oral histories (document genres). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Transcripts. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Upper Peninsula (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women labor leaders. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Geraldine DeFant papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 4/27/2010: finding aid revisiion description not supplied