Josephine Hurst Schils scrapbook
Scope and Contents note
This collection contains a scrapbook that came to the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives bound in a loose-leaf binder. The contents relate to Josephine Hurst Schils' years as a student at John D. Pierce School and at at Northern Michigan College of Education. Materials include programs, publications, photographs, and newspaper clippings from 1948 to 1998.
- Schils, Josephine Hurst (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No Restrictions. Open for Research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from the Josephine Hurst Schils scrapbook must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Josephine Hurst Schils attended the John D. Pierce School in Marquette, Michigan and was a graduate of the Class of 1947. While attending John D. Pierce she was active in student plays. On December 18, 1941 she performed in the school production of "The Gift of the Magi" in which her brother Donald performed as one of the Morris Dancers and her father Victor Hurst assisted with the dances. She had a role in the November 26, 1946 Senior Class Play "The Arms of the Law: A Mystery in Three Acts" written by Jean Lee Latham. On June 6, 1947 she performed as part of the Girls Trio with Lou Frisk and Jonelle Anderson for the Class Day Event.
Josephine went on to attend Northern Michigan University at the time it was named Northern Michigan College of Education. Josephine graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree on August 3, 1951. On July 23, 1952 she married John (Jack) F. Schils at the First Methodist Church in Marquette.
0.5 Cubic Feet (This collection is maintained with other small collections.)
Language of Materials
This collection came to the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives as a scrapbook bound in a looseleaf binder. The materials that were loose within the scrapbook are arranged by subject with the scrapbook pages in original order.
The items listed as Events, Programs, and Publications were clipped to the front of the binder and are organized by subject.
The Photographs, Photocopies, and Newspaper Clippings were clipped to the back of the binder and are organized by subject.
The Scrapbook is maintained in original order as received within the loose leaf binder.
Materials in this collection were donated to the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives by Dr. Russell Magnaghi.
- Articles. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College and school drama. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Michigan College of Education period (1941-1955) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan College of Education.
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan University. John D. Pierce Training School
- Northern Michigan alumni/alumnae. Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Programs (documents). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Schils, Josephine Hurst
- Scrapbooks. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student activities. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Josephine Hurst Schils scrapbook
- Glenda K. Ward
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note