Dedication of the Ada B. Vielmetti Health Center scrapbook
Scope and Contents
This collection came to the Archives as an embossed bound scrapbook.
This collection contains photographs of the dedication ceremony held on October 16, 1976 for the Ada B. Vielmetti Health Center. There are also newspaper clippings, materials relating to the planning of the event and news releases on the history of the Health Service at Northern Michigan University from 1924-1968. There are also copies of telegrams, Aurelia Hooper's tribute speech for Ada B. Vielmetti, and Mrs. Vielmetti's Certificate of Nursing from 1926.
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from the Dedication of the Ada B. Vielmetti Health Center scrapbook, MSS-285, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Ada B. Vielmetti was a native of Ishpeming, Michigan. She attended Lawrence University in Appleton, Wisconsin, and received her Nursing Degree from the Wesley Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in Chicago, Illinois. She also attended the University of Michigan School of Public Health. Before coming to Northern Michigan University in 1947, Mrs. Vielmetti was employed at Lawrence University and the Chicago Children's Memorial Hospital. She also served as a community nurse in the Dickinson County areas of Norway-Vulcan and served as a nurse for the Negaunee Public School District. She served as president of the Michigan Nurses Association and the Michigan College Health Services Association and was active with the Michigan Heart Association.
Mrs. Vielmetti came to Northern in 1947 to assume the position of School Nurse. She also carried out the duties as head nurse and administrator, she lectured in what was known at the time as the Effective Living classes and was appointed the rank of Instructor. She was also instrumental in the design of the University Health Center facility. Mrs. Vielmetti also served as coordinator in attaining the services of local physicians for the Health Center until a full-time physician could be added to staff.
In 1968 Ada B. Vielmetti retired from her position as Head Nurse at Northern Michigan University after 21 years of service. At the time of her retirement Mrs. Vielmetti had been an active Registered Nurse for 44 years.
At the time of dedication, October 16, 1976, the Health Center had a staff of 3 full-time physicians, 10 registered nurses, a business administrator, and several auxiliary employees. It also had a pharmacy, laboratory, and a 15-bed capacity ward and was located on the first two floors of the east wing of Gries Hall on the campus of Northern Michigan University.
(This note was compiled using materials contained within the collection.)
1 folder (This collection is stored in a container with other small manuscript collections.)
Language of Materials
The materials within the collection were deconstructed and maintained in the original order, as originally displayed within the scrapbook.
This collection was gifted to the Archives by Tish Vielmettti Osborn on September 11, 2013.
The Head Nurse's Pin and the Red Cross Pin that were contained in the collection was transferred to the Beaumier Heritage Center.
- Academic medical centers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Articles. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hooper, Aurelia E.
- Jamrich, John X.
- Niemi, Allan L.
- Northern Michigan College of Education period (1941-1955) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan College period (1955-1963) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan University period (1963-) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan University. Ada B. Vielmetti Health Center
- Northern Michigan University. University Health Center
- Northern Michigan faculty and staff. Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern State Normal School period (1899-1927) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern State Teachers College period (1927-1941) Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rein, Beverly
- Scrapbooks. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Speeches (documents). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Telegrams. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Vielmetti, Ada B.
- White, Robert B.
- Osborn, Tish Vielmetti (Person)
- Dedication of the Ada B. Vielmetti Health Center scrapbook
- Glenda K. Ward
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives Repository
Harden Learning Resources Center 126
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette 49855 United States