Phyllis Wong papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains photographs, newsclippings, and memorabilia of various events that Phyllis Wong participated in while at Northern Michigan University.
The photograph file contains pictures of various events to include:
Izzo-Mariucci Golf Classic (July 1, 2005) with 2 photos of Les and Phyllis Wong with Tom Izzo and Steve Mariucci University Garden Club (December 2005) Phyllis Wong with USOEC athelete William Farley (August 26, 2005) NMU Mascot Wildcat Willy with Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm at the UP State Fair (August 19, 2005) Phyllis Wong with Wildcat Willy and Governor Jennifer Granholm at the UP State Fair (August 19, 2005) Photographs received from Jianping Ma Photographs received from Phyllis Reynolds Photographs of various Sister City events Photographs from Ruth Bishop Photographs of Special Olympics and Trim a Tree 2004
The Road to Turino file contains two 8x10 color photos of Dr. Les Wong with the US Short Track Olympic Team that includes Apollo Ohno (2005-2006).
- 2004 - 2012
- Wong, Phyllis Michael (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from the Phyllis Wong papers, MSS-299, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Phyllis Wong is the wife of past Northern Michigan University President Dr. Les Wong. Les and Phyllis met in high school when they were 16 but decided to go their separate ways in college - he to Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington, and she to the Drexel Institute of Technology (now Drexel University) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
At the end of Les Wong’s junior year of college, they decided to get married. They exchanged vows the week after Wong graduated. The couple celebrated their 32nd wedding anniversary in 2014. They have three sons: Isaac, Nathan, and Brian.
After Les and Phyllis were married, Phyllis transferred to The Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, where she received a bachelor’s degree in liberal studies with an emphasis in literature and history. She then went on to earn a master’s degree in American history and American literature from Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Washington.
Phyllis helped develop land trusts in Washington and North Dakota, and was co-president of a garden club. Professionally, Phyllis has taught in both physical and virtual classrooms. Prior to moving to Marquette, she was the director of online learning at Valley City State University in North Dakota.
Information in this biographical note came from Northern Michigan University Marketing and Communications (http://www.nmu.edu/communicationsandmarketing).
0.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The materials in this collection were donated by Phyllis Wong to the Beaumier Heritage Center. Daniel Truckey transferred them to the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives in 2014.
The four audiocassettes and the two CD-Rs are separated from the rest of the collection and maintained in storage cabinet number 3.
- Articles. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College athletes. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College campuses. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College presidents' spouses. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College sports. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Granholm, Jennifer
- Izzo, Tom
- Mariucci, Steve
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorabilia. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan University period (1963-) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan University. Kaye House
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rotary International. District 622
- Sonderegger Symposium (Marquette, Mich.)
- United States Olympic Education Center
- Wong, Leslie E.
- Wong, Phyllis Michael
- Phyllis Wong papers
- Glenda K. Ward
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note