Marcus Robyns papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of correspondence, newspaper clippings, course materials (from courses that Robyns took and courses that he taught), professional materials, copies of journal articles about archival topics, and applications for promotion. With the exception of two folders (one of personal newspaper articles and one of correspondence with former student assistants at the Northern Michigan University Archives), the entire collection deals with Robyns' career as an archivist.
- 1988 - 2014
- Robyns, Marcus C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Series VI, Promotion Materials, is restricted, as are the folders Student Progress Report and Application for Released Time. Everything else is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from MSS-339, Marcus Robyns papers, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
Marcus Robyns became the University Archivist at the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives in 1997. As of the writing of this finding aid in 2015, he is still the University Archivist. He teaches classes about archival management.
He was born in Eugene, Oregon. He received a Bachelor's in History from the University of Oregon in 1988. He received a Master's in History with a certification in Archival Management from the University of Oregon in 1990. From 1990 to 1992, he was an archivist at the Tyrrell Historical Library in Beaumont, Texas. From 1992 to 1997, he served as the Archivist for the City of Portland, Oregon. From 1994 to 1997, he was an adjunct professor at Portland State University.
1 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The materials in the Marcus Robyns papers are arranged thematically.
- Archives. Subject Source: Fast
- Archivists. Subject Source: Fast
- Articles. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College teachers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College teaching. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Curricula. Subject Source: Local sources
- History. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan University period (1963-) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan faculty and staff. Subject Source: Local sources
- Portland (Or.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Portland State University
- Promotion and tenure files. Subject Source: Local sources
- Tyrrell Historical Library
- Marcus Robyns papers
- Annika Peterson
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note