Catherine Witting scrapbook
Scope and Contents
This collection, MSS-359, Catherine Witting scrapbook, consists of one green cloth-bound volume with the words “The School Girl’s Memory Book” embossed on the front cover. Catherine Witting was a student at Northern State Normal School and graduated in June 1920 with a degree in home economics. The scrapbook documents various activities and people Ms. Witting was involved with from 1917 to 1921. There is a photograph of the Northern State Normal School 1919-1920 faculty and a copy of the 1920 Class Song. Ms. Witting’s scrapbook contains individual photographs of classmates, teachers, friends, group activities, and events. These photographs are annotated with names, nicknames, hometowns, and comments. She has collected pages of jokes and autographed notes written to her by friends, classmates, and teachers. Among the memorabilia Ms. Witting collected in her scrapbook are letters and cards inviting her to various events in the Marquette County area. The scrapbook also contains programs to plays, concerts, and dances. Ms. Witting has also included dance cards showing who she went to the dance with, who she danced with, and the venue where the dance was held. Many of the dances are identified as “jitneys” which were “pay-per-dance” events held at various dance halls and other venues in the area. Ms. Witting maintained her scrapbook as a daily journal and diary covering the period from June 22, 1920 through October 21, 1921. Her entries primarily focused on activities she was involved in with her friends. Some of her friends included in her writings were Frederick Walter (Fritz) Rydholm, who received his degree from Northern in physical education, and Kenyon Boyer, who became a local historian and director of the Marquette County Historical Society.
- 1917 to 1921
- Witting, Catherine (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from MSS-359, Catherine Witting scrapbook, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Biographical / Historical
Catherine Witting was born in Escanaba, Michigan, in 1899. She was the daughter of Frank Witting and Julia Walley. Ms. Witting graduated from Northern State Normal School on June 22, 1920, receiving her degree in Home Economics. Ms. Witting went on to teach 3rd and 4th grade in Gwinn, Michigan, and would later move to Alpena, Michigan, where she would also teach. She married Burnett Green in December, 1925, in Alpena. Ms. Witting died on August 15, 1928.
*Information in this biographical note was obtained from the Student Card file at the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives, Ancestry.com, and materials within the collection.
Language of Materials
The materials in this scrapbook are in original order. The scrapbook is in good condition and is a cloth-bound volume. It was not disassembled; however, items that were loose inside the scrapbook were sleeved and replaced in the original locations within the scrapbook.
This collection was originally identified as Univ Series-035. The material was reassessed and converted to a manuscript collection, reaccessioned, and processed in May 2015.
- College students. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Greeting Cards. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Memorabilia. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan alumni/alumnae. Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern State Normal School (Mich.).
- Northern State Normal School period (1899-1927) Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Programs (documents). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student activities. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catherine Witting scrapbook
- Glenda K. Ward, Arrangement and Description Specialist
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note