Richard O'Dell papers
Scope and Contents note
The collection contains documents related to both O'Dell's personal life and his professional life, including correspondence, event and committee files, photographs, newspaper clippings, memorabilia, and publications.
There is also a file of correspondence and other material related to Lavinia Spindler, who worked at Western Michigan University. While there is nothing to indicate exactly why O'Dell had Spindler's materials, he does refer to an Aunt Lavinia in some of his personal correspondence. Presumably his Aunt Lavinia was Lavinia Spindler.
- Creation: 1896 - 1997
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Richard O'Dell papers, MSS-054, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Dr. Richard Frederick O'Dell received his B.A. degree from Michigan State University in 1935, M.A. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Michigan in 1939 and 1948, respectively. O'Dell was a professor of history and former head of the Department of History and Social Sciences. He began his career at Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan in 1949 and retired in 1975. O'Dell was president of the Faculty Council in the 1960s and helped draft the constitution for the new Academic Senate in 1969. He was a staunch opponent of faculty unionization and led the opposition to the National Education Association's effort to organize the faculty in 1971. Richard O'Dell died on January 11, 2008.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift received from Richard O'Dell in 1988 and 2008.
Separated Materials note
Three audio (reel-to-reel) recordings of the 1968 Academic Senate meeting concerning the Robert McClellan affair have been separated and are located in the Audio Visual Collection. Please see the archivist for more information.
- Northern Michigan University. Academic Senate (Organization)
- Northern Michigan University. Faculty Council (Organization)
- O’Dell, Richard F. (Richard Frederick) (Person)
- Northern Michigan University. Department of History (Organization)
- Jamrich, John X. (Person)
- Northern Michigan College of Education. (Organization)
- Northern Michigan College. (Organization)
- Northern Michigan University (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Northern Michigan College of Education period (1941-1955)
- Northern Michigan College period (1955-1963)
- Northern Michigan University period (1963-)
- Richard O'Dell papers
- Annika Peterson
- 27 September 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note