Longyear Forest/Tract Property records
Collection — Box: 04-07-01
Scope and Contents note
This collection includes a copy of John Longyear's original deed to the Longyear Forest property, as well as the deeds of both transfers of Longyear Forest property to Northern Michigan College of Education.
- 1948 - 1958
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from MSS-268, Longyear Forest/Tract Property records, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
Abby Beecher Roberts (the daughter of John Longyear) and various other heirs of John Longyear donated the Longyear Forest/Tract property to Northern Michigan College of Education (now Northern Michigan University) to be used for educational purposes. The first portion of 120 acres was donated in 1949 and the second portion of 40 acres was donated in 1959. The land included Waldo Pond and Redberry Lake and was used by science classes for outdoor labs. In the 1970s, it became a cross country ski trail and a target practice area. By the 1980s, class use had decreased and the area became overgrown with vegetation. (Information in this note taken from materials in the collection and from A Sense of Time: The Encyclopedia of Northern Michigan University [compiled by Russell M. Magnaghi].)
This document is commonly used by the GC475 class.
- Deeds. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northern Michigan College of Education period (1941-1955) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan College of Education. (Owner)
- Northern Michigan College period (1955-1963) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan College.
- Northern Michigan University
- School natural areas. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Upper Peninsula (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Longyear Forest/Tract Property records
- Annika Peterson
- 16 September 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description