Marquette County Timber and Mining records
Collection — Box: 04-07-01
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of miscellaneous documents on the mining and timber industries in Marquette County in the twentieth century. It was donated by Pat Schierup from the Sloan Museum in Flint, MI. The records and correspondence include listings of mining properties, accident reports, complaints, and timbering information and planning. The documents were obtained at the same estate sale and were organized into an artificial collection.
- 1928 - 1975
- Scarffe, Henry L. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from MSS-258, Marquette County timber and mining reports, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
Included in this collection is a copy of the 1968 annual report composed by Marquette County Mine Inspector Henry L. Scarffe; a letter written by Robert Noe, City Manager of Ishpeming, Michigan, to then-Representative Dominic Jacobetti in 1975 regarding the taxation of mines, and a 1928 report on forestry and logging in Marquette County composed by R.A. Brotherton, a Cleveland Cliffs Iron Mining Company civil engineer who also worked for the City of Negaunee, Michigan.
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Forests and forestry. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iron mines and mining. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lumber trade. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette County (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Marquette County Timber and Mining records
- Annika Peterson
- 16 September 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description