Bernice M. Bal scrapbook
This scrapbook created by Bernice M. Bal was donated to the Archives by NMU Professor Russell Magnaghi. It documents her time spent at Northern State Teachers College. The scrapbook includes class schedules, news articles on events on campus and in the community, programs, miscellaneous articles, letters/invitations, and graduating class roster listings.
- 1925 - 1934
- Bal, Bernice M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
No restrictions. Open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from the Bernice M. Bal scrapbook, MSS-216, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Biographical / Historical
Bernice Bal was born April 20, 1907 in Norway, Michigan and died on April 22, 2005 in Gaastra, Michigan. Her parents were Jacob Bal and Magdalenna Rucinski. She moved to Gaastra in 1914 and graduated from Stambaugh High School in 1926. She received a teaching certificate in elementary education from Northern Michigan Teacher's College. She first taught in a one room schoolhouse in the South Brule area. She later taught in the Palatka, Caspian, and Bates elementary schools. She also taught English and writing to immigrants, was a CCD teacher at St. Mary Catholic Church in Gaastra, and taught for the community school programs. She was a member of St. Cecilia Catholic Church in Caspian and the Michigan Association of Retired Teachers.
Source: Obituary at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=39734145
.5 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
This collection is not in original order because the person who accessioned it separated the scrapbook into topics. It is therefore arranged by topic and alphabetically.
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan alumni/alumnae. Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern State Normal School (Mich.).
- Northern State Normal School period (1899-1927) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern State Teachers College (Mich.).
- Northern State Teachers College period (1927-1941) Subject Source: Local sources
- Scrapbooks. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Student activities. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teachers -- Training of. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teachers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Bernice M. Bal scrapbook
- Annika Peterson
- 4 August 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note