Jon "Jack" LaSalle papers
Scope and Contents
MSS-398 consists of the personal papers of Jon "Jack" LaSalle from the 1980s and 1990s. They include papers from his time on the Marquette County Labor Council, the Upper Peninsula Labor Management Council, the Marquette County Democratic Party and more.
- 1986 - 2000
- LaSalle, Jon G. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
There are no restrictions on these materials. Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from MSS-398, Jon "Jack" LaSalle papers, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at (906) 227-1225 or email, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Biographical / Historical
Mr. LaSalle is an NMU alumnus, class of 1971, Speech/Communications major with Political Science and History minors. He retired on June 30, 2006 from his position as a Field Representative for the Michigan Building and Construction Trades Council, in Marquette, Michigan, a position he held since January 1986.
Mr. LaSalle has held the following positions with the Michigan State AFL-CIO: Deputy Director for U.P. Operations, Labor Employment and Development Program and Field Representative, Labor Employment and Development Program. He has also served as Deputy Director, Governor's Office for Job Training for the state of Michigan; Staff Representative, Council 25, American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees; Iron Worker; and Teaching Assistant, Industrial Relations Department at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Mr. LaSalle's service also includes numerous memberships and offices, including but not limited to: Chair, Labor Advisory and Planning Committee, NMU Labor Education Program and Office of Continuing Education; Chair, Marquette County Democratic Party, Recording Secretary, Marquette County Labor Council, AFL-CIO, Financial Secretary/Treasurer, Marquette County Labor Council, AFL-CIO; President, Marquette County Labor Council, AFL-CIO; Advisor, Upper Peninsula Construction Council; Member, Board of Director, U.P. Labor/Management Council, Inc.; Chair, 11th District Democratic Party; Officer-At-Large, Michigan Democratic Party; Delegate/Alternate, Democratic State Central Committee, Michigan; Member, COPE Committee, Local 783, Iron Workers, AFL-CIO; and Member and Vice Chair, Mackinac Bridge Authority.
Mr. LaSalle's other activities and affiliations include: Journeyman Member (JIW), Local 8, International Association of Bridge, Structural, Reinforcing and Ornamental Iron Workers, AFL-CIO; Member, Industrial Workers of the World; Member, American Civil Liberties Union; Team Co-Chair, StrongKids Fund Raising Campaign, YMCA of Marquette; Mentor, Student Leadership Fellowship Program at NMU; and service on numerous political campaigns. John LaSalle is an NMU Trustee and was appointed in January of 2005 by Governor Jennifer Granholm.
3.5 boxes : 3 standard archival boxes and one oversized box, paper materials with some newspaper articles and photographs
Language of Materials
The materials in this collection, MSS 398, Jon "Jack" LaSalle papers, are arranged in the following series: 1. Acts, Legislative 2. Elections, Certificates and Returns 3. Councils 4. Committees 5. Groups 6. Newsletters 7. Labor 8. Correspondence 9. Bingo 10. Public Relations 11. Marquette County Democratic Party 12. Issues, Political 13. Information 14. Oversize
Jon LaSalle gifted the materials in this collection to the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives. University Archivist, Marcus Robyns, accepted the materials and a donor agreement is on file. This collection is governed by a Custodial Agreement.
- AFSCME-AFL/CIO Michigan
- Agendas. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Democratic Party (Marquette County, Mich.)
- Democratic Party (Mich.). State Central Committee
- Documents. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Labor leaders. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Labor unions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes (administrative records). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newsletters. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northern Michigan University. Board of Trustees
- Northern Michigan administration. Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan alumni/alumnae. Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Political campaigns. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politics and government. Subject Source: Fast
- Programs (documents). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Voters' lists. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Jon "Jack" LaSalle papers
- Karen Kasper
- May 3, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives Repository
Harden Learning Resources Center 126
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette 49855 United States