Howard R. Swaine papers
Scope and Contents Note
This collection largely documents Swaine’s political career in Marquette, Michigan. The collection contains minutes, agendas, correspondence, and numerous reports. Of particular note to the researcher are the records related to Swaine’s tenure as a board member with the Marquette Board of Light and Power and as a city commissioner with the Marquette City Commission. The collection also includes material on the Economic Development Corporation. These papers cover the years 1975 to 1989.
The second accession to this collection documents Howard Swaine's activities in Northern Michigan University (in Marquette, Michigan) and university committees. In particular, the bulk of the accession documents Swaine's role as chair of the Taskforce on Academic Governance. Former University President John Jamrich established the Taskforce in 1969 in response to the McClellan controversy and faculty demands for a greater role in the governance of the University. Records include correspondence, reports, memorandum, various reference material, meeting minutes. These papers cover the years from 1969 to 1975.
- 1969 - 1989
- Swaine, Howard R. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Howard R Swaine papers, MSS-051, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
Professor Howard R. Swaine joined the faculty of the Department of Economics of Northern Michigan University in Marquette, Michigan in 1966. He was promoted to full professor and Head of the Department of Economics in 1971, an office he held until 1997. Professor Swaine received his B. A. and M. A. degrees from the University of Iowa in 1952 and in 1956 respectively. Swaine earned his Ph. D from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1965. He was a teaching assistant in economics at UCLA from 1956-1959 and senior economist with the Rand Corporation, at Santa Monica, Omaha, Paris and Washington, D. C. from 1959-1966.
During his career Swaine has been very active in civic affairs. He has served on various boards, commissions and committees concerned with such affairs, often serving as the chairman or secretary of these organizations at various times. The public bodies on which he served were concerned with such matters as economic development, public transportation, wastewater treatment, public employees credit union policies and city administration and policy. Eventually Swaine was elected to the Marquette City Commission, on which he served from 1976-1981. In 1977, fellow city commissioners elected him mayor of the City of Marquette for the year 1977-1978. Over the years Swaine has also served on numerous committees at Northern Michigan University, has been a member of the American Economic Association and has published and consulted. More complete data regarding Swaine exists in the Control File of the Archives. Those desiring to see it may do so by asking to see the vita in his Control File.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Gift received from Howard R. Swaine in 1998 and 2004.
- Agendas. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College teachers. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- College teaching. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Economic development. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Economics. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislation. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Legislators. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette (Mich.). City Commission
- Marquette Board of Light and Power
- Marquette County (Mich.). Economic Development Corporation
- Memorandums. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (administrative records). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Northern Michigan University
- Northern Michigan University period (1963-) Subject Source: Local sources
- Northern Michigan University. Department of Economics
- Northern Michigan University. Library Advisory Committee
- Northern Michigan University. Taskforce on Academic Governance
- Northern Michigan faculty and staff. Subject Source: Local sources
- Politicians. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Politics and government. Subject Source: Fast
- Reports. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Swaine, Howard R.
- Howard R. Swaine papers
- Karen Kasper
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives Repository
Harden Learning Resources Center 126
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette 49855 United States