Skip to main content

St. Paul's Episcopal Church records

 Collection
Identifier: MSS-064

Scope and Contents note

The records of Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church consist of materials that begin in 1856 and continue until 1998. The collection documents the growth and administration of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Marquette, Michigan and contains correspondence, sacramental records, various publications, and photographs. Items of interest include a complete set of vestry minutes, photographs of past reverends, the history of the parish as written by the first bishop of the Diocese of Northern Michigan G. Mott Williams, a history of the Diocese of Marquette, a folder on Dandelion Cottage (on which the children’s book is based), records dealing with the mortgage foreclosure threat of 1878, and various letters from many of the town founders of Marquette including Peter White and Philo Everett.

Dates

  • 1856 - 1998

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

No restrictions. Open for research.

Conditions Governing Use note

Permission to publish material from the St. Paul's Episcopal Church records, MSS-064, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, archives@nmu.edu. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.

Historical note

The history of St. Paul’s Church began in the 1840s when the first Episcopalians of Marquette started having services aboard the steamship Planet in Marquette Harbor. The actual edifice of St. Paul’s was not built until 1857 at the corner of Ridge and High Streets in Marquette. The wooden structure of the first church was bought by the German Lutherans and moved two blocks down the street when the current St. Paul’s Church was built.

The current church was built in 1874 at a cost of $80,000. After the building of the main church, additions were added on. One of Marquette’s town founders, Peter White, funded the building of a chapel in 1887. This chapel was named the Morgan Memorial Chapel in honor of his deceased son, and also has a window that was created by the Tiffany Glass Company. Later, in 1900, a tower was added to the main edifice which was partially made out of brownstone that was found at the old high school grounds. In 1909 the Guild Hall was built as a recreation center for the whole Marquette community. The Guild Hall was later torn down in 1989 due to bad condition. The area where the Guild Hall used to be is now a parking lot.

From its first meetings until 1895, St. Paul’s had been a part of the diocese of Michigan. In 1895 St. Paul’s became a cathedral with the creation of the diocese of Marquette, which was later renamed as the Diocese of Northern Michigan. The Rev. G. Mott Williams was made the first bishop of the diocese and has been followed by eight others, the latest being Thomas K. Ray.

Sources:

Longtine, Sonny and Chappell, Laverne, Marquette: Then and Now. Marquette: North Shore Publications, 1999.

Extent

11 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement note

The records are broken down into twelve series: I. Buildings; II. Bishops; III. Clubs/Organizations; IV. Donations; V. Finance; VI. History; VII. Publications; VIII. Reports; IX. Venture In Mission; X. Reverends; XI. Photographs; and XII. Oversized/ Separated Items.

Series Descriptions:

Series I. Building, 1874-1990. 0.5 cubic feet (24 folders). Arranged chronologically. Decoration, surrounding property, building additions, building plans, and information on pipe organs.

Series II. Bishops, 1896-1981. 0.25 cubic feet (26 folders). Arranged chronologically. Bishops that presided over the Diocese of Marquette, which was later renamed the Diocese of Northern Michigan.

Series III. Clubs/Organizations, 18??-1965. 0.25 cubic feet (33 folders). Arranged chronologically. Minutes, monetary records, pamphlets, and reports from various church clubs and organizations.

Series IV. Donations, 18??-1975. 0.25 cubic feet (19 folders). Arranged chronologically. Records of donations given to the church by individuals and groups. Includes trust agreements.

Series V. Finance, 1889-1992. 1 cubic foot (1 document box). Arranged chronologically. Abstract titles, bank books, annual reports, cash books, and statement of receipts and expenditures.

Series VI. History, 1880-1998. 1 cubic foot (1 document box). Arranged chronologically. Items of historic importance chronicling the parishioners of St. Paul’s church, various newspaper clippings on church history and events, parish directories and various church wide activities.

Series VII. Publications, 1920-1998. 2 cubic feet (2 document boxes). Arranged chronologically. Various church publications including bulletins.

Series VIII. Reports, 1874-1995. 2 cubic feet (2 document boxes). Arranged chronologically. Parochial reports and vestry minutes.

Series IX. Venture In Mission (VIM), 1978-1983. 0.25 cubic feet (7 folders). Arranged chronologically. Records of monetary sponsorship for members of the parish to go to Episcopal missions in third world countries.

Series X. Reverends, 1904-1989. 0.25 cubic feet (11 folders). Arranged chronologically. Correspondence and biographical information on the pastors of St. Paul’s since 1904.

Series XI. Photographs, 1866-1998. Contains photographs of the reverends of St. Paul’s dating back to 1866. Also chronicles events, bishops and reverends of the parish.

Series XII. Oversized/Separated. Arranged chronologically. Blueprints, watercolors, and registries.

Custodial History note

The records of Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church were donated to the Northern Michigan University and Central Upper Peninsula Archives on June 2, 1999. University Archivist Marcus Robyns obtained the collection from the church offices. The records were put on permanent retention and were processed in 2002 by senior student assistant Patrice Davis.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift from Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church in 1999.

Related Archival Materials note

The Archives also maintains the Episcopal Diocese of Marquette Records, MSS-031.

Separated Materials note

Blueprints, architectural drawings, and oversized photographs have been separated and transferred to flat storage location 6-1-1.
Title
St. Paul's Episcopal Church records
Status
Completed
Author
Patrice Davis
Date
5/19/2010
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives Repository

Contact:
Harden Learning Resources Center 126
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette 49855 United States
906-227-1225
906-227-1333 (Fax)

ABOUT THIS COLLECTION GUIDE

This is your guide to our historical collections of personal papers, organizational records, and manuscripts. Our collections cover such topics as Northern Michigan University history, the local iron mining industry, and the politics, economics, religion, environment, and culture of the Central Upper Peninsula region. Search by Keyword, Name, Title, Subject, or Collecting Areas. The finding aids for our collections will give you an overview of the contents and information on where they are located.


Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Ave. • Marquette, MI 49855-5301 • 906–227–1000
© 2018 by the NMU Board of Trustees. NMU is an equal opportunity institution.