Skip to main content

Marquette General Hospital records

 Collection
Identifier: MSS-090

Scope and Contents Note

This collection includes a variety of material that documents the history of St. Luke's/Marquette General Hospital in Marquette, Michigan dating from 1890 to 1997. The collection also documents the history of health, health care, and the medical profession in Marquette County for much of the twentieth century. Records include staff meeting minutes, photographs, correspondence, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, various publications, annual reports, memorabilia, brochures, and mounted exhibition photographs.

Dates

  • 1890-1997

Creator

Conditions Governing Access note

No restrictions. Open for research.

Conditions Governing Use note

Marquette General Hospital maintains all rights to the material.

Permission to publish material from the Marquette General Hospital records, MSS-090, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, archives@nmu.edu. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.

Historical Note

St. Luke’s Hospital began as Marquette City Hospital. In 1896 a group of Marquette physicians organized to create the St. Luke’s Hospital. Among these physicians were Doctors G.J. Northrup and A. A. Foster. St. Luke’s was opened at 152 East Prospect Street, the home of E. C. Bailey. In less than two months the hospital was in need of more space. The hospital rented a home on the corner of Ridge and Front streets, where the public library is currently located, to create accommodations for 12 patients. In 1897 under Michigan law the hospital was established as a non-profit, non-sectarian, charitable corporation.

In January of 1915 the hospital again found a need to expand, and soon a three story and basement fire-proof building on Hebard Court was opened to the public. St. Luke’s Hospital became well established in its ability to care for their patients. People from all over the Upper Peninsula and some even from out of state came for treatment. Again a concern over bed capacity came up in 1936, so in 1937 a gift from James Couzens allowed the hospital to break ground for a new building which would be completed in 1938, dedicated to James Couzens as the “James Couzens Memorial.” St. Luke’s Hospital continued to grow until its merger with St. Mary’s Hospital in 1973, creating Marquette General Hospital.

St. Mary’s Hospital was established by Dr. A.K. Thiell, aided by Bishop John Vertin, when it was realized that the community was in need of an established hospital. Dr. Thiell and Bishop Vertin were successful in their quest to establish such a hospital in 1890. The Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis founded, owned, and controlled St. Mary’s Hospital. The order was originally established in Germany and was devoted to caring for the sick, suffering and wounded. The first superintendent of the hospital was Sister Theckla, Mother Superior, she was accompanied by four sisters, and they came from the first hospital established by the order in the United States in Peoria, Illinois. St. Mary’s Hospital was completed and opened by the fall of 1891; the facility accommodated 50 patients and included a chapel.

In the 1890s the hospital’s system for treatment included a system of selling tickets which provided the ticket holder with medical care, attendance, board and medicine. The hospital would not treat infectious, chronic, contagious or incurable diseases, nor insanity or eye problems. The hospital would also be established as the official U.S. Marine Hospital. St. Mary’s continued to expand until 1955 when a new facility was opened. During St. Mary’s years of care, the order established an excellent reputation within the community and throughout the entire Upper Peninsula.

St. Luke’s Hospital and St. Mary’s Hospital would begin merging in 1973, with the goal to establish the best care for the community and the entire Upper Peninsula.

Sources:

Brooks, Lillian, RN, CNA Nursing Supervisor. “A Social History of Marquette General Hospital Inc.” Paper.

St. Luke’s Hospital: Founded 1897. Booklet

Extent

10 Cubic Feet

Arrangement Note

The Marquette General Hospital records are arranged into five series: I. Announcements, dedicaations and newsletters; II. Health education, St. Luke's School of Nursing; III. Historical research/documents; IV. Minutes/Children's fund; and V. Photographs.

Series descriptions are as follows:

Series I. Announcements, Dedications and Newsletters, 1941-1996. (32 folders) Arranged alphabetically. Hospital Newsletters, Dedications of new buildings and announcements of new procedures, retirements.

Series II. Health Education, St. Luke’s School of Nursing, 1928-1996 (16 folders) Arranged alphabetically. St. Luke’s School of Nursing graduation, reunion. Upper Peninsula Health Education Corporation Annual Reports, Upper Peninsula Medical Program Students.

Series III. Historical Research/Documents 1915-1976 (19 folders) Research on radiology, hospital history. St. Luke’s Hospital Bulletin 1930.

Series IV. Minutes/Children’s Fund 1928-1976 (1 box) Arranged in chronological and alphabetical order. St. Luke’s Executive staff and Active staff minutes and correspondence. St. Luke’s Women’s Auxiliary minutes. Children’s Fund of Michigan Annual Reports.

Series V. Photographs 1890-1988 (7 oversize boxes) Arranged in chronological order. St. Luke’s and Marquette General Hospital.
Title
Marquette General Hospital records
Status
Completed
Author
Crystal Laudeman
Date
April, 2002
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives Repository

Contact:
Harden Learning Resources Center 126
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette 49855 United States
906-227-1225
906-227-1333 (Fax)

ABOUT THIS COLLECTION GUIDE

This is your guide to our historical collections of personal papers, organizational records, and manuscripts. Our collections cover such topics as Northern Michigan University history, the local iron mining industry, and the politics, economics, religion, environment, and culture of the Central Upper Peninsula region. Search by Keyword, Name, Title, Subject, or Collecting Areas. The finding aids for our collections will give you an overview of the contents and information on where they are located.


Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Ave. • Marquette, MI 49855-5301 • 906–227–1000
© 2018 by the NMU Board of Trustees. NMU is an equal opportunity institution.