Marquette County Labor Council records
Scope and Contents note
This collection documents the recent history of the Marquette County Labor Council, the Northern Michigan University Labor Advisory and Planning Committee, the Iron Workers Local 783, the Upper Peninsula Labor Management Council, the Economic Development Corporation, and the Marquette County Democratic Party.
Records include correspondence, handwritten notes, convention records, mailing lists, memoranda, records relation to political activity and union organizing, project records, reports, publications, and meeting minutes. The collection is particularly strong in documenting political and electoral activities, especially in conjunction with the Marquette County Democratic Party. The bulk of the collection documents Jack LaSalle's participation in NMU's Labor Advisory and Planning Committee (LAPC) as a member and the chair. The collection's materials date from 1960 to 2002.
- 1960 - 2002
- Marquette County Labor Council (Mich.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access note
No restrictions. Open for research.
Conditions Governing Use note
Permission to publish material from the Marquette County Labor Council records, MSS-098, must be obtained from the University Archivist. The University Archivist may be reached by phone at 906-227-1225, or e-mail, email@example.com. The University Archivist may also be reached in Room 126 of the Learning Resource Center, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI.
The Marquette County Labor Council is an umbrella organization made up of representatives from all AFL-CIO affiliated labor unions in Marquette County, Michigan. The Council was established with the principal mission of providing a central organization to the labor community and to provide their point of view in politics through legislative and community activity within the local jurisdiction. The Council coordinates union activities throughout the county.
6 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is organized into seven series. Each series is organized by folder title and within each folder documents are organized chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition Note
Jon (Jack) LaSalle donated the Marquette County Labor Council records in 1997. A second accession occurred in 1999. LaSalle was chairman of the Council at the time of the donation.
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Democratic Party (Marquette County, Mich.)
- International Association of Bridge, Structural, and Ornamental Iron Workers. Local 783 (Upper Peninsula, Mich.)
- Labor Advisory and Planning Committee
- Labor unions. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette County (Mich.). Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marquette County (Mich.). Economic Development Corporation
- Marquette County Labor Council (Mich.)
- Memorandums. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes (administrative records). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Operation Action U. P.
- Politics and government. Subject Source: Fast
- Publications (document genre). Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports. Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Upper Peninsula Labor Management Council
- LaSalle, Jon G. (Person)
- Marquette County Labor Council records
- Crystal Laudeman and Marcus C. Robyns Revision Completed by Karen Kasper
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Central Upper Peninsula and Northern Michigan University Archives Repository
Harden Learning Resources Center 126
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette 49855 United States